Saturday, January 25, 2014

I don't do New Years Resolutions but....

In the past year or so, I've developed a habit of "catastrophizing" or thinking of possible icky outcomes to things. If I'm cooking I may think, "what if this has too much salt?" or "what if people don't like this?"  If I'm working on art I might think, "what if this color isn't working?" or, "what if I mess this up?" If it's cold I think, "what if the power goes out?" and on and on and on. I have named this The Devil In My Head and am becoming more aware of it.

Author Jamie Sams in The Sacred Path Cards says, "The shadow side of self, which inhibits growth, is constantly forced to die. These deaths occur on a daily basis whether they be our fear, doubts, our bad habits, negative thoughts, or our self-importance. . These deaths mark spiritual progress, and speak of the ability of humankind to Walk in Beauty. Every death of a shadow announces the birth of a new talent or gift contained in the self."

So this year, when the rascal starts up, I'll practice not believing what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment